Sunday, December 2, 2007

I need a new tenant!

So this weekend could have been better. That boy I'd like to make like me stood me up publicly again, which basically confirms two things...1) I can't make him like me. 2) I don't want to.
I mean, I can't really decide if it's worse to be stood up and left at home alone to think about how lame you are or to be stood up in front of all your friends. What could be worse than that? Oh, I know, if it was on your birthday. Or, wait, if the excuse you got was "My phone died." That might be worse...unless that's the excuse you got BOTH TIMES.

Ok, now that my little ranty pity party is over, I'll move on to the real content here...mental real estate*. This little nugget of wisdom is passed along to me by relationship sage Will Frechette and it couldn't be more true. Is it just that I am trying to occupy some mental real estate by having this pseudo relationship? It's a thing to think about, and if it wasn't there, what would happen to the Boy-Crushing plot in my brain? It would start to get overgrown with weeds, the homeless would move in, start pissing on everything, and pretty soon the property values plummet and everything smells like pee. And is it possible, says Will, that the Boy-Crushing plot of my brain is perhaps larger than average due to my recent long term relationship...perhaps some subdivisions were developed, maybe we moved in an Olive Garden and a Starbucks.

This is all sage wisdom and very much true. Yeah, even though That Boy I'd Like To Make Like Me is a bad tenant...never pays the rent on time, loud parties, etc etc, I am hanging on to him because I don't want the place to fall apart, and I want to line up a new one before I let the old one go. Except it turns out that the homeless are moving in anyway and everything already smells like piss...so aren't I better off without a tenent?

When I broke up with the last one, I really had a vision of what my life would be like and how I would interact with these kinds of situations...but it's not really turning out to be true. I thought I'd be evolved, independent girl who didn't need a tenent, so I think the hardest part is accepting that I am not that girl. So fine, I embrace my Boy-Crushing plot. And if there has to be a tenent, so be it, but let me not forget the reason that I reserve this space for this kind of thing instead of using it for crafts or reading or innovating solutions to our energy problems...it's supposed to be fun.

So, I want to know what your crushing mental real estate looks like. Tidy? Crowded? Does it smell like flowers? Hamburgers?

* The concept of mental real estate is copyrighted by Will Frechette Industries, Inc. and may not be used without permission. Any resemblence to actual people or events is probably real, considering that we all tend to our crushing plots. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mental Real Estate ~ love it! I'm really more of a renter than a home owner. Occassionally, I crash at a hotel for the night. It's the 600 count sheets ~ amazing.

Unknown said...

http://mcsweeneys.net/links/lists/26MeganRobin.html